Medical marijuana consumers of all ages struggle to find the right way to talk to their loved ones about their choice to use natural medication.
The following list will walk you through discussion points and offer some linked resources for further exploration, though you are encouraged to do most of the digging on your own. There are endless fascinating things to discover! Hopefully, some of this outline may ease the weight that comes from simply not knowing where to begin with a discussion that can often feel too personal.
– Check your tone & energy when conversing about this plant’s medicinal benefit.
– Try not to become overly defensive; focus on positive dialogue
– Pay attention to vocabulary words, such as some that have been highlighted throughout this piece. Using the right words will contribute to a positive outcome.
– If you don’t know what something is, don’t be hesitant to look it up; solo or together!
– It’s okay to have been ‘wrong’ in regards to your pre-existing understandings of the plant.
– * Always check multiple sources!*
- Symptoms : Start by focusing the discussion on just the specific symptoms being experienced.
- Obtaining an accurate and official diagnosis can be a tremendously difficult process for some people; overcoming repetitive misdiagnosis and adverse reactions to medications along the way.
- Symptoms often overlap; when focusing on a specific set of symptoms, there is more likelihood that the person you are communicating with can relate to you in some way.
- Examples of symptoms may include but are not limited to: chronic pain, nausea, lack of appetite, anxiety, depression, etc…..
- Explore the basics of cannabis
- The Psychoactive compound THC & the medical conditions it is beneficial to.
- The Non-Psychoactive compounds CBD (& others)
- Why is CBD Non-Psychoactive?
- What is HEMP? How is it different from cannabis?
– Show support to companies like @Cannasmack who use Hemp Seed Oil in their products & work to educate all ages about hemp’s family-friendly *Non-psychoactive* nature; while also donating 2% of profits to non-profit organization NORML who works toward normalization and legalization of cannabis.
- Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid
– Debunking these classifications!
- What is Ruderalis ?
- What are Terpenes & how do they effect you?
– 11 Terpenes you should know about
– Explore terpene isolation & manipulation
- Understand that your body has an endocannabinoid system.
- Explore varying Consumption Methods and their benefits *as they relate to your specific set of symptoms*
- Smoking & Vaping (Flower/Weed/Bud)
– Combusted Plant Material
– Consumed with a: Joint, Bowl/Pipe/Spoon, Bong
- Extracted Cannabis (Solvent & Solventless extraction methods)
– The following listed names typically refer to either the consistency or the method of extraction. Exceptions being : “Dabs” which references the small amount needed to be consumed for relief & “Concentrate” speaking on behalf of the concentrated potency. Names such as : Wax / Shatter / Oil / Sugar / Batter / Sift / Static-Tech / Bubble Ice / Dry Ice Hash / CO2 / Distillate / Isolate / Crumble / Butter / Rosin , all fall under this category. Their physical appearance and equally, the method in which they were extracted from the plant varies.
– Explore the world of Rosin-Tech; from the 20 ton presses to a downsized at-home version of the technique using a common hair styling tool.
- Topicals (Known as: Lotion/ Body Butter/ Salves/ Oils)
– This application method is often an easier transition for patients who may be weary about inhaling or ingesting anything.
– Products like Michigan Organic Rub are proving to be of sincere relief to patients, winning several 1st place best topical awards at the 2016 High Times Cannabis Cup events with their “Extra ‘Releaf’ Vanilla Mint with CBD powered by Loyalty Extracts” (entered by Herbal Solutions).
– What is 11 Hydroxy THC?
– @Jeffthe420Chef has an awesome website & cookbook that breaks down the basics of cooking with cannabis.
– @MagicalButter machines are also great. (Code: HappyTokes for $30 off)
– People tend to forget that this particular consumptinon method is difficult for people with nausea or a lack of appetite.
- Tinctures & Capsules
- Smoking & Vaping (Flower/Weed/Bud)
- Dosage – How much to consume?
- Compared to who? (The Eight Year Old Epilepsy Warrior Kara and her journey with medical cannabis)
– ^ Quoted from previous link: “Kara’s Mom shares prime examples of how parent’s in their scenario become their own master of research, “I read everything. I broke the internet, reading anything and everything I can find.
There isn’t any specific person to refer to on dosing (your child with cannabis oil). You’re kind of flying blind. You can ask what other people have done but everyone’s chemistry is different.” Not to mention also taking different regiments of medication. Dosing with cannabis is more complicated than finding the precise quantity, timing also plays a huge role. Kara’s mom discovered in her research that prescription medication “ONFI and CBD use the same receptor in the liver and should ideally be taken two hours apart. CBD takes precedence over ONFI. Therefore, ONFi stays in the system longer, so it takes longer for that dose to be processed by the liver.”
- Understand your body’s unique reactions to cannabis. Become your own advocate!
- Side Effects of Cannabis
– Fairly evaluate the potential side effects. Most patients find their need to alleviate whatever set of symptoms, outweighs the dry mouth, red eyes and munchies, but its fair to explore all options.
– Don’t forget to HYDRATE!
- Discover and share success stories from others who have overcome similar symptoms with cannabis.
– How has the plant helped them? Examples of their productivity & contributions to society.
– Children are experiencing the miraculous wonders of this plant. Explore this success. Irrefutable video evidence exists!
I’m so proud of you for taking this first step to get yourself prepared for this discussion with your loved ones! Whether you’re talking to a grandparent, parent, child, teacher, employer, therapist, coach or doctor… you are not alone. There is an enormous community of educated individuals who are present in the discovery and discussion of the benefits of cannabis. Welcome!
Thanks to all sources linked in this article & the respective authors responsible for content:
MagicalButter.com (code: HappyTokes for $30 off)
Cannasmack.com (code: HappyTokes 10% off)
Photo of “HappyLeaf” @MoodMats designed by @HappyTokes – Photo by tie-dye-queen @FlowerChilld